To migrate your users and data through MigrationWiz, you will set up and utilize Projects. Each project is customized through settings, and may contain thousands of users or only a few. Projects may be added, edited, or deleted, but once a project is deleted, it cannot be recovered.
BitTitan has a strict data protection policy and will purge your projects after 180 days unless otherwise specified in the Advanced Options. Any upcoming deletion will be communicated through warnings in the web interface and via multiple emails. If you can’t find a project, check your spam to ensure you didn’t miss warnings of impending deletion.
You may move users and data between projects, or create multiple projects to manage subdomains and user groups, if you wish.
Users in Subdomains
As long as all users are in the same environment, they may all be migrated using the same project. Additionally, as long as the administrator has access to all Active Directory objects, no additional admin accounts are needed.
For organizational purposes, some admins prefer to separate users into multiple projects. However, this is entirely optional.
Project Set Up
Project Type: Choose between a mailbox, public folder, document, archive, enterprise archive, collaboration, or database project. You may not see all migration types in your list, as the list of available project types depends on your access rights.
Project Name: A name you can use to identify the migration project.
Source: This is your Source server.
Server Type: Choose the platform or type of server you are migrating from.
Credentials: Depending on the server type selected, you will be prompted for the credentials necessary to gain access to the Source.
Destination: This is your Destination server. Click on the edit icon (the pencil icon) to modify.
Server Type: Choose the platform or type of server you are migrating to.
Credentials: Depending on the server type chosen, you will be prompted for the credentials necessary to gain access to the Destination.
Editing a project
- Log in to your account.
- Select All Customers on the left navigation bar, then select the customer whose project setting you wish to update.
- Click on Projects on the top navigation menu. This provides a list of all projects for this customer.
- Select the project whose setting you wish to update.
In the top navigation bar, click on the Edit Project button, and then select Edit Project from the resulting drop-down list.
Click on the option that you wish to edit. Options are: Source Settings, Destination Settings, or Advanced Options.
Make the desired changes, then click on Save Project.
Collaboration: Collaboration projects are used to migrate a Microsoft Teams instance from one Microsoft tenant to another. Collaboration migrations migrate all Teams, Channels, files, and permissions.
Document: Document projects are used to migrate document drives from one cloud storage to another. Document migrations will maintain the folder hierarchy from the source to the destination.
Hybrid Exchange: Hybrid Exchange projects are used when migrating an On-Premises Microsoft Exchange 2010+ organization to Office 365. Hybrid projects are usually done over longer periods of time and in batches. Hybrid migrations have a different process than a standard migration and are processed on the Hybrid tab in MigrationWiz.
Mailbox: Mailbox projects are used to migrate the contents of the primary user mailbox from the previous environment to the new environment. Most mailbox migrations can migrate email, calendars, and contacts.
For mailbox migrations, administrative credentials to access mailboxes. In most migration scenarios, the admin account needs to have full access rights to the Source mailboxes.
Personal Archive: Personal Archive projects are used to migrate archive mailboxes or PST files from one environment to another.
Public Folder: Public Folder projects are used to migrate part or all of a Public Folder from one server to another. As with document migrations, the folder hierarchy is maintained from the source to the destination.
Moving Items or Users
To move items between projects, use the Move tool that is on the dashboard, rather than importing users into a new project via CSV. This way, the licenses will move too, along with the statistics and the ability to resubmit Delta passes using the licenses previously consumed on each item.
Items and users may not be moved between different types of projects. They may be moved between mailbox projects, for example, but not from a mailbox project to an archive project.
- Click on the checkbox next to the Source Email column to select all of the items, or click on the checkboxes next to the names of the item to select individual items.
- Click on the Move icon on the dashboard.
- Click on the radio button next to the project name, where these items will move to.
- Click on the Move Items button.
- There will be a confirmation on the screen for the number of all items that have been moved.
To clone an existing project:
- Open MigrationWiz.
- Go to your list of projects.
- Click on the name of the project you want to clone.
- Click on the Edit Project drop-down box, and then click on Clone Project.
- On the Clone Project page, name the new project, then click on the Clone Project button at the bottom of the page.
- Now you have a clone of the original project, with the same endpoints and the same Advanced Option settings.
Extending the unused period of a project
By default, the project and all associated items are deleted after 180 days after the last mailbox has migrated.
To change the auto delete period of the project:
- Sign in to the MigrationWiz account.
- Click the Projects tab if you do not see the Project dashboard.
- Click on the name of the Project in the list.
- Click Edit Project.
- Click Edit Advanced Options.
- Under the Maintenance section, change the value for Number of days after which this project will be auto-deleted if unused.
- Click Save Options.
If you can no longer find a Project in your account, there are two important questions you should consider:
- Are you logged in to the right MigrationWiz account?
- When was the last time you used the Project?
If you are logged in to the wrong account, you will not find the Project you are looking for because they are created on a per-account basis. Otherwise, to protect the security of your data, we also purge Projects if left unused for 180 days (this period is configurable in Advanced Options). We always:
- Display a warning in the web interface at least two weeks in advance.
- Send email reminders well in advance.
Once purged, Projects cannot be resurrected.
Once a project has been deleted, the information cannot be recovered.
- By default, Projects are deleted if left unused for 180 days.
- This 180-day value is configurable on each Project.
- We display a warning on the Project dashboard 30 days in advance.
- We also send email notifications in advance to your MigrationWiz account.
The default 180-day purge policy is designed to protect the security of your account, including confidential data stored on your Project.