Public Folder Migration Guide From On-Premises Exchange 2007+ to Office 365 < 20GB
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating public folders from on-premises Exchange 2007 or later to public folders on Microsoft Office 365.
- This guide should be followed if the total size of the public folders on the source is less than 20GB. If the larger than 20GB, refer to KB005459.
- This guide presumes that hybrid coexistence has not been set up. If working in a hybrid environment, refer to KB005461.
- Complete each step in order. If additional instructions are required, a link to a corresponding Knowledge Base article is provided.
- Estimate of migration speed = 500MB per hour. If total size of Public Folders = 12GB, the project should complete in 24 hours.
- If you experience throttling limits when migrating to Office 365, and if you are migrating more than 1000 seats, you can increase throttling limits by following guidance provided in How to increase EWS throttling limits.
Prepare Source Exchange Environment:
- Set the elevated 'Organization Management' admin role to migrating admin account (this grants permission to all necessary read-only fields). KB004788
- Ensure that the migrating admin account has permission on all Public Folders (owner access rights need to be permitted to the account being used for migration). KB005103
- Split up large Public Folders (if any Public Folders contain more than 20,000 items (if the Source is Exchange 2007), or 100,000 items (if the Source is Exchange 2010 or later), these should be split into multiple Public Folders. This will speed up your migration). KB005526
Prepare Destination Office 365 Environment:
- Set up the Office 365 tenant.
- Add users and assign SKUs (if permissions are being migrated, this is required).
- Create a public folder mailbox and assign root permissions to this public folder mailbox, to the administrator account being used for the migration. KB005069 Video
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the source and destination endpoints (select Exchange Server Public Folder for the source endpoint, and Office 365 for the destination endpoint). KB005427
- Launch public folder migration (select All Products/Public Folder Migration).
- Set up the Project. Create the Public Folder project > Name the project and select the MSPComplete customer > Select the Source endpoint >Select the Destination endpoint.
- Add Public Folders (select Add/Quick Add and enter a forward slash ( / ) in the Root Folder Path field. We recommend this because it will migrate all Public Folders, and you will only need one Public Folder license per 10GB of data, regardless of the number of top-level Public Folders. If you use AutoDiscover and import Public Folders, each top-level folder will consume one Public Folder license). KB004914
- Set the Project Advanced Options KB004834
- Set value for Licensing/Maximum licenses to consume per item per pass licensing count (default value = 1). This allows up to 10GB to be migrated. For example, if you are migrating all Public Folders, using a forward slash ( / ), and the total data size = 39GB, increase this value to 4; otherwise the migration will pause at 10GB. KB004890
- Under Support/Support options, add RemoveFilterBasedOnFolderType=1. This flag is required if Public Folders contain items other than mail, such as calendar and contact items. KB005053
- Set your Preferred BitTitan Data Center. For fastest migration speeds, select the Data Center that is closest to your Office 365 Destination tenant. KB004268
- Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
- Purchase Public Folder licenses. KB004647
- To obtain an estimate of the number of Public Folder migration licenses required for your migration project, follow the directions in KB005791.
- Perform a Full Migration pass. Checkmark the box next to Root Path > Select the Start button > Select Full Migration from the drop-down list > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- Perform a final Full Migration pass using the Advanced Option AllowAllMailboxTypesForPFPermissions=1 in order to migrate all Security Group Permissions. If you do not run the second pass, none of the Security Group Permissions will migrate.
- Receive migration statistics. Click on the pie chart on the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626